Monday, February 25, 2013

Reflected Beauty:

The story of Narcissus is a legend of Greek mythology known by almost everyone. Not as widely known is how Oscar Wilde changed the ending. According to him when Narcissus died, the pool where Narcissus had gazed at his image wept. So many tears were shed that the pool had become salty.

The goddesses of the woods told the pool that they understood its grief. They could only run after Narcissus through the forest, but the pool could gaze upon his beauty close up.
 
"But was Narcissus beautiful?" asked the pool.

Of course, replied the goddesses, astonished at the question.

After a moment, the pool explained:

"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that he was beautiful. I weep for him because whenever he lay on my banks and looked into my waters, I could see my own beauty reflected in his eyes."

2 comments:

  1. Awesome.

    I just came across this story that I think you will like:
    http://veroiatnost.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/angels-cant-swim/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I like the story, but the ending isn't quite right. Angels can swim. They're called dolphins.

    When the angel was knocked into the water, he became a dolphin and knew wonder once again in the beauty of the sea.

    ReplyDelete