Monday, December 10, 2012

Black Monday

Another black Monday, I would like to say I'm getting used to them,
but not really. I did discover something interesting today. Have you
ever noticed this quote in profiles in SL:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

I've noticed it in many profiles, but never thought to google it to
see where it came from. Today I discovered it's attributed to Hunter
S. Thompson. Intrigued, I did a bit more research. Hunter S. Thompson
committed suicide in 2005, by gun shot through the roof of his mouth.
He appears to be most famous for authoring Fear and Loathing
in Las Vegas.

In addition, I watched a couple of videos of him on the Letterman
show, one appearance from 1988 and another from 1997. He seemed to be
a lot funnier and more relaxed in 1997. In 1988 he just seemed mostly
scary. This quote is also attributed to him:

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously."

Maybe that's something I should heed. Or maybe not, because if you didn't take life seriously, would you care whether you lived or died?

No comments:

Post a Comment