Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Why I Love Whiskey

Someone posted in a blog that they didn't understand why Whiskey is "lauded as a hero of sorts." Let me see if I can explain.

Whiskey is intriguing. She lived for a time on a California commune as a child. How fascinating! I would like to live on a commune or at visit one. She's so articulate and widely read, quoting my favorite writers. If Whiskey's life was a story, she would certainly be the heroine.

So she harbors resentment for her mother, has issues with her sister, and makes incredibly beautiful photographs? Is she a living, breathing version of Jilly Coppercorn from de Lint's Onion Girl? You know, the girl that took a whole lot of bad and made something good from it?

I would like to chat with Whiskey but she is to me as Fante was to Bukowksi, a kind of god and the gods should be left alone. I'll just have to keep reading her blog, because I really want to see what happens next.

However, it's not a story. Whiskey doesn't know what will happen and if she can get through it. If she's a god, she's just like the rest of us.

Hang in there Whiskey. Even god needs love.

No comments:

Post a Comment