Sunday, September 28, 2014

Silver Linings: The Novel

When I run, I always pretend I am running toward Nikki, and it makes me feel like I am decreasing the amount of time I have to wait until I see her again.
― Matthew Quick, The Silver Linings Playbook 
After seeing the film, the Silver Linings Playbook, there was something I didn't understand. Why would Tiffany be so interested in Pat? Generally, a young, beautiful woman doesn't pursue an older, unemployed guy recently released from a mental institution, who lives at home with his parents.

In the book, Tiffany was actually a few years older than Pat. Moreover, Pat had been married for about about ten years and had been in a mental institution for the past four years, not eight months as in the film. That would have made Tiffany about twice as old as she was in the film.

In the book, Tiffany also cared much more about the dance contest. She had participated in the solo event the past two years and won an award each time. This year, she wanted to be in the couples competition and the goal was to win, not obtain an average score of at least five.

According to Tiffany, she was scouting Pat for endurance, strength, and perseverance as a dance partner. Hence, Pat's strenuous workout regime was attractive to her.

The book, though, was not that good. It was written in the first person from Pat's perspective and he seemed like an idiot. He kept referring to the "bad place," which was the mental institution. 

I'm surprised the novel got made into a film. However, Tiffany's motivation for her behavior was clearer in the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment