Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Candy Man:

Who can take a sunrise
Sprinkle it with dew
Cover it in chocolate
And a miracle or two
The candy man can
I used it to sit next to the Candy Man. He was always in a good mood and sharply dressed. He decorated his cube with pictures of his family and awards and certificates from his many years in the Navy. Even though I had started working there before him, my cube was bare, like I had just started yesterday.

He kept a bowl of candy on his desk. I resisted it as much as I could. I didn't want to be beholden to him. But every once in awhile, when nobody was looking, I snatched a piece and gobbled it down before anyone could see me.

I asked him why he put candy out. I thought it must be his way of ingratiating himself with his fellow employees as the new guy. Before him, I was the new guy. He said that he started the practice in the Navy, but he didn't really explain why.

We both moved on. He moved to another building, and I moved down the hall. I think I know why he did it. He was lonely. He wanted people to stop for a piece of candy and talk to him. I think it's time I got a candy bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment